1. Question: What is Derby Manor?
It is affordable apartment-style housing (we refer to these as suites) primarily focused toward meeting the needs of independent seniors. The Derby Manor is designed to accommodate seniors who do not rely on day-to-day health care, supports and supervision. The Project consists of 122 suites; there will be three main types of suites:
1-bedroom/1 bathroom 1 bedroom/1bathroom + den 2 bedrooms/2bathrooms
Although the project is built to accommodate individuals 55+, we expect to have residents age 65+, including couples.
2. Do all residents have to be at least 55 years of age?
Yes, at this time.
3. Are the Units Subsidized?
No – residents must be able to pay the monthly fee themselves. There is no arrangement with B.C. Housing to subsidize the monthly fees.
4. Question: What is meant by “affordable”
The Derby Manor is developed to be affordable. This is compared to market costs for similar sized Independent Housing projects, especially when the services and amenities are taken into consideration. Refer to our website for more details about programs, services, and associated costs.
5. Do you charge more for couples?
There is an additional monthly charge of $550 for the second person occupying a suite.
6. Can I just rent without the full package of services?
No – the monthly fee is set and includes a basic package of services.
7. Must I sign a lease agreement?
No – We go on a monthly Occupancy Agreement.
8. Will my monthly fee go up every year?
The Derby Manor will examine operational costs and sustainability in the coming fiscal year.
9. Question: Will any of these units be for sale?
No- Derby Manor is not a condominium or townhouse development. Derby Manor is a non-profit organization.
10. Question: How do we find out more about this?
Call us at (604) 529-1019 to talk to our residency consultant.
11. Question: How new is Derby Manor?
Derby Manor opened on May 1st, 2017. It is a brand new building with an efficient and modern design.
12. Question: When I contact you how long will it take to hear back?
We aim to follow up on all inquiries within 24 hours. Our residency consultants are happy to provide information and arrange a tour for you.
• Front Desk (604) 529-1019
13. How can I secure a suite now?
In order to secure a suite it is necessary to make a deposit on the suite of your choice. The deposit amount is your security deposit (50% or ½ of one month’s fees). In addition, the first month’s full fee is required before move in. Monthly fees are due and payable in advance on the 1st of every month through electronic bank transfer.
14. Question: Are any of the suites wheelchair accessible?
Yes, there are 5 one-bedroom suites available that are fully accessible. All suites are mobility friendly.
15. Question: Are there storage/lockers available at Derby Manor?
Each suite has sufficient storage within the suite for most items. There are no lockers or other storage facilities on site to store extra furniture or large seasonal articles. In order to keep monthly fees affordable, no unnecessary space has been constructed. There are several self-storage companies within a reasonable distance such as:
- Maple Leaf Storage: 7705 Griffiths Drive, Burnaby 2.2 miles
- Storguard Self Storage: 7550 Gilley Ave., Burnaby 2.5 miles
16. Question: What types of activities are there?
On the ground floor lower level there is a large multi-purpose room. We are hosting a variety of activities from physical exercises to entertainment and thoughtful pursuits. A priority at Derby Manor is to gather suggestions and interest levels from residents. We want to provide an enjoyable and meaningful program of lifestyle and wellness initiatives for those who have chosen Derby Manor as their home. If you already have suggestions we would be pleased to add them to our list for consideration.
Contact us at (604) 529-1019 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and share your ideas.
17. Question: What about transportation? Is there a Bus route and to where?
We have a multi-person bus to provide outings for our residents. Derby Manor is also within a short walking distance to Transit. See Transit Bus Route #101.
18. Question: Is there shopping close by?
Yes. There are a variety of shops and services including: Choices Market, Insurance, Bakery, Hairdresser, Bank, Pharmacy/post office, Coffee Bistro & some take-out foods located at the Crest Shopping Centre on 10th Ave. Plus within a short distance are: shops in New Westminster, the McBride Shopping Centre, and Lougheed Mall.